Some amount of stress in the workplace is normal, but too much can cause burnout. With ongoing challenges in the workplace today, it’s imperative that burnout prevention be a high priority within your culture. Not only do you need to model the behavior of a healthy workplace, but you also need to pay attention to the early warning signs that a team member is heading in that direction.
Some of the warning signs of burnout include:
- declining performance
- low energy levels
- loss of focus
- and even moodiness
So how do you prevent these from happening?
- Celebrate the wins. Taking the time to celebrate company successes and accomplishments throughout the year provides the opportunity to reduce employee stress and interject some fun into the workplace.
- Time off. Encourage employees to take time off. A well-planned three-day weekend or short vacation staggered throughout the year can go a long way in maintaining a work-life balance.
- Share words of encouragement. Providing honest appreciation throughout the year can go a long way in fighting burnout. These gestures can be big or small from simple posts on the company site highlighting employees’ accomplishments and hard work to hosting a dinner to show appreciation for the past quarter or year.
- Limit last-minute projects. Evaluate if those last-minute projects need to be assigned and completed by year-end. No one likes last-minute projects, especially projects that are not time sensitive and can be pushed back.
- Balance your resources. Check-in regularly with employees to determine who needs assistance and if current priorities require shifting resources to balance workloads. Employees experiencing a large workload may be able to get help from another employee with more bandwidth to assist.
- Model and focus on wellness. Encourage employees to take breaks. Do a quick yoga workout, ride a bike, or walk. Remind employees of the company’s employee assistance program (EAP) and encourage its use.
Doing a few simple things consistently over time can go a long way to fighting burnout. By creating a culture that provides the right mindset and tools, you can support a healthy environment that enables employees to be productive throughout the year.
For more insight or assistance with burnout, reach out to your PuzzleHR specialist today!