Holidays can be enjoyable, but it is a very stressful time of year for some. Stress can lower morale and increase absenteeism. Leaders need to learn how to spread cheer, not stress.
Here are some tips to help keep your team morale up and the holiday spirit alive.
- Recognition goes a long way to increasing retention and reducing burnout, especially during the busy holiday season.
- Review the PTO policies and current employee vacation schedules. Encourage team members to coordinate their time to provide adequate coverage and make the holidays enjoyable.
- Promote self-care as this is a high-stress time of year. It is also cold, flu, and Covid season. Remind everyone of good health and safety habits and encourage sick team members to stay home, rest, and recover.
- Holiday parties are a great chance to celebrate with your team. Reminding all to drink responsibly and reinstating the office policies, dress codes, and the need to promote inclusion and harmony is essential. Setting expectations before the party goes a long way to prevent any potential issues.
- Holiday inclusion is a must. Remember, it is not just one holiday. Have a Holidays From Around the World Party with all the different holidays of the season included. This event encourages everyone to share their traditions and is a great way to celebrate the holidays together.
Maintaining a positive, inclusive workplace during the holidays can be incredibly challenging. But with these tips in mind, you and your team can celebrate appropriately. Have questions? Reach out to your PuzzleHR specialist today!
And, in the meantime, happy holidays from all of us at PuzzleHR!